- What are the 5 essential somatic technologies and why does Jamie use the word "technology" to describe them?
- We spend plenty of time talking about teaching critical thinking skills to children, but where are we teaching critical sensing skills to both children and adults?
- What is physical education really?
- How can working with the body in an educational setting be subversive?
- Are classical meditation forms such as vipassana incompatible with the modern mind and with modern life?
- Can sitting in this way (classical meditation forms) cause a person to go into more of a fight-or-flight pattern?
- Because of that does it pose some risk to those who aren't connected to the body?
- Why sit in meditation at all?
- What is a somatic mantra and how can we use one?
- How technology is changing our perception of time and removing our fallow time where we aren't stimulated by input.
- How do we re-calibrate this constant input to the neocortex?
- The indigenous practices- especially Jamie's experience with the Pomo Indians- of using the expressive capacity of the body to connect the whole community.
- Reviving the tradition of community dance and song in a non-stylized way (and how not to give your authority over to Beyonce).
In the spirit of reviving spontaneous dance we're having a home dance party today! So turn on your favorite music and dance like no one's watching. What do you discover when it's just for you?
Emilie Conrad, founder of Continuum Movement
Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen Body Mind Centering
Marjorie Barstow, one of Alexander's first students
Fritz Smith and Zero Balancing
Richard Davidson University of Wisconsin Center for Investigating Healthy Minds
Daniel Siegel UCLA Center for Culture, Brain, and Development
Jon Kabat-Zinn Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
If you liked this episode, you might also like
Judith Aston: Our Relationship to Our Bodies and Their Relationship to the World
Bo Forbes: Mindfulness Expressed in the Body
Steve Haines: Body Maps and Interoception
If you're inspired to leave a review on iTunes or Stitcher I would be oh so grateful! It helps more body nerds to find their way to the show and connects us more as a community. Body nerds unite!